Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A day in the life of someone who has no plans with roti (and paint fumes) on the brain

This week off from work hasn't worked out completely as I planned: I was hoping to have the whole house ready to move in and all I would have to do is empty the boxes and put away the dishes. But since the painting is being done, I couldn't really hang out or put stuff away until it was done. That said, it has given me some time to relax and do anything I feel like.

Yesterday morning I needed to get out of the house because the painters were here and the paint fumes were getting to my brain. I decided that I needed to make a bigger dent in my book club book, so I headed over to Artisano, which is a lovely Italian-style, coffee, sweets and panino place just north of the Queensway on Islington. I was there for two hours or so with all the retired men, mommies and the few people that went there to work with their laptops.

Later in the day I had to go to the dentist which I was happy for only because it meant I could waste more time before going home to the fumes. On the way home I stopped off at Queen West at Roncesvalles to check out some antiques -- I'd love to incorporate some old in with the new in the house. Along the way, I found the perfect desk lamp for my new desk at Black Pug Dmk. It's from the '60s and in mint condition but the kicker -- it's $195. A little over my budget of $40 for a desk lamp (I was seriously trying to justify the purchase in my head...).

When I got home empty handed (for which I'm sure M was grateful) the paint fumes were still pretty bad, which took away all desires to cook and eat a meal here, so M and I went out again for dinner. This time we had a craving for some Caribbean food so we checked out what I think is Caribbean Queen Roti Hut located at 2957 Lake Shore Blvd W.

Now I have to start off by saying that roti is one my MOST favourite things to eat. We became regulars of Cool Runnings on Main Street in the east end which was melt in your mouth yumminess - I would honestly dream about the stuff.

The roti at Roti Hut was just ok. It might have something to do with the fact that I didn't want it too spicy 'cause I'm a bit of a wimp, or it could have been the fact that it was Trinidadian roti, as opposed to the Jamaican roti from Cool Runnings I'm used to. Either way, it hit the spot and the owner was super sweet. She seemed to have a couple regulars come through when we were there (the restaurant has been around for 19 years after all!) and the price was right at $6.95 for boneless chicken.

The atmosphere isn't much to write about, but the owner had some really fun Caribbean music playing and I felt instantly as though I were closer to the sun and beach (I wish!).

Well that's all I've got for today. The kitchen is finally finished so I'm going to concentrate on putting stuff away and then I have to get out to change my SIN card info later on. I tried to do that earlier in the week but I forgot my birth certificate - arg!

later lakers!
~lealou

No comments:

Post a Comment