Friday, July 17, 2009

Farmers' Market Goodness


I've made a secret vow this summer to buy my fruits and veggies from local farmers' markets only. It's week three this week and so far so good. I'm a bit sad that there isn't really one close enough for me to walk to in the new 'hood but I shouldn't really complain because there are a few around just a short drive away that have bounties of goodness.

For the past three weeks I've been heading over to the Sherway Garden Farmers' Market located in the mall parking lot and there are so many things to choose from you really don't need to go to a regular grocery store to get much else (unless of course you love bananas like my husband -- unfortunately you can't get those local).

My typical purchases are cherries, blueberries, strawberries, and a bunch of veggies. Last week I couldn't resist the radishes -- just look at them! I immediately was brought back to childhood to the days when my grandmother would cut up radishes and put them in a pyrex in cold water in the fridge. When I got them home I sliced up a few to put on my salad and sliced the rest into cold water and into the fridge. And then they sat there, and sat there. And I thought "what do I do with these things?" I brought them to work one day as a snack; the same way I take carrots to work. I had had enough of the peppery veggie after one though.

Regardless of what you get, going to the Farmers' Market is a great experience: you get really tasty food that has travelled only a short distance; most times the food is pesticide free and you get to pay farmers directly for the food they work so hard to produce every week. How cool is that?

BlogTO has a great list of The Best Farmers' Markets in Toronto. Click here to find one near you.

(for some 'ravishing radish recipes' click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment